Saturday, July 2, 2011

Always the Bridesmaid Never The Bride Cookies

Always the bridesmaid never the bride.   I'll never forget I was in one of my friends from high school (Janelle's) wedding and  one of my dads friend's came up to me and was like always the bridesmaid never the bride.  When are you ever going to get married?  I was the last of the high school pack and not even dating anyone.  I hated that question.  I did eventually get married, didn't last long (3 years).  I do have a beautiful daughter Natalie and she is my pride and joy. 

I'll never forget a few years ago, I was at church with my parents, and this girl came up to me, reached for my hand and was like your still not married?  I told her God was still working on my Mr. Right.  What is it, just because your single - people think you have to be married?  I was just in my early 40's.  I was single for 17 years before I remarried.  I had this idea in my head, ever since after divorce, that I would not remarry until my daughter graduated from high school.  Low and behold I meet my Mr. Right, when she was a senior in  high school.  We'll get to that story later.  I have to say I probably had over 200 dates in 17 years - yes a lot of only one time.  What is that quote by Groucho Marx? - OH....  I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it.  That's how a lot of my dates went.  Keep reading my blog and I'll be sharing a few of those stories also.

Are you ready for your recipe?  When your always the bridesmaid and not the bride -  Chocolate seems to always help.  I found this recipe in an old Southern living cookbook.

Always the Bridesmaid Never the Bride Cookies: aka Chocolate Frosted Toffee Bars

1- 8 oz bar semi-sweet chocolate or 8 oz. semi-sweet bits
1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour, measured before sifting
1 cup finely chopped pecans

Start melting chocolate over warm water when you start mixing cookies.  In large bowl of electric mixter cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add egg yolk, vanilla, then flour.  Mix well; spread in ungreased 15x10x1 inch pan.  (you may find the spreading easier with flour--dipped fingers.)  Bake @ 325 degrees for 20 to 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and spread melted chocolate over surface while still warm.  (A knife dipped repeatedly in very hot water keeps icing smooth while spreading.)  Sprinkle immediately with nuts, pressing down lightly.  Cut into 1x1 bars and remove from pan while slightly war.  Freezes well:  Servings - about 56 bars.

Stay tuned to the next time for The Brides Wedding Cookies.

Be sweet and Stay sweet, until next time.

1 comment:

  1. Robin - I never knew that this happened to you at my wedding! So sorry!!! Aren't you so glad that you found Steve later in life though?!?! I admit you did have to go through a lot until you found him but I believe he was worth the wait... Best wishes on your blog. I'm enjoying it very much, especially the stories. Janelle

    ReplyDelete