Sunday, July 31, 2011

Bobo's Chocolate Cake

Bobo was my dear sweet grandmother.  There's  not a day that goes by, that I do not think of her.  She is the one who gave me my love for cooking.  I had my own special stool, well actually all her grandchildren used it to.  I would stir, mix and learn.  One of our family favorites was and still is her chocolate cake.

Let me tell you a little about Bobo, we had tea parties, famous ones.  We had made up funny names and told stories about our make believe family.  Her name was Queen Esther, my sister Dorthy Sue and me, I was Jeaunette.  She was also my Sunday School teacher.  We sang this song of the books of the bible and every time we got to Esther the Queen, I would look at her and giggle.  When I went off to college, I would write her Queen Esther letters.  I even continued writing them in my adult life.  It was a way to tell her what was going on in my life, without her knowing it was really what was going on in my life at the time.  I think she knew, but never said anything to me about it.  My husband's name was Fred, we ran the laundry mat and I had fourteen kids.  When she pasted away, my mother found the letters.  She had kept every one of them.  Wow it still brings tears to my eyes.  I miss her something terrible, but I'm so thankful for all the wonderful memories.  I'll be sharing a lot of recipes on here, it's a way I can share a little bit of my Bobo with all of you.

I have to admit, I add cinnamon to mine. 

Bobo's Chocolate Cake:

Cake:
2 cups self-rising flour
2 cups sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 cup shortening
4 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 cup water
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix together dry ingredients in large mixing bow.  In saucepan add butter, shortening, cocoa and water.  Bring to a rapid boil then pour over dry ingredients.  Stir well then add eggs and buttermilk.  Pour into a well greased 9x13 cake pan and bake  20 to 25 minutes at 400 degrees.






Icing:
1 stick butter
4 tablespoons cocoa
3 tablespoons buttermilk
1 box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix all together in saucepan, except powdered sugar, and bring to boil, stirring so it does not burn.  Remove from heat and pour powdered sugar in.  With mixer, mix together.  Pour over cake while its still warm.

I'm even using Bobo's cake pan that she use to always make this in.


Bobo would make a funny face to us, the pic is blurry and old, but its me with my Bobo.  Can't wait to see her in heaven one day.  She'll probably be at the gate waiting on me making her Bobo face at me.

Be Sweet and Stay Sweet.

1 comment:

  1. Brought tears to my eyes. I sure do miss her!

    ReplyDelete