Friday, July 29, 2011

Orange Pork with Sweet Potatoes

Hi, boy do I have something for you today.  Orange Pork with Sweet Potatoes.  I have to tell you a story first.  When I go to visit Natalie, in New Orleans, LA, I always have to stop in Lake Providence, LA, at "The Dock".  They have the best Cajun spices, a few I've picked up, "Punch Ya Daddy" and "Slap Ya Momma", they are both wonderful.  Don't you just love the names?  I also, pick up boudin.  I'll have some recipes for that later.

Now let me  tell you about Lake Providence.  Don't speed, because they will get you.  My friend Stephanie and I went to visit Natalie about three years ago and on our way home, Big Bubba got me.  Stephanie and I were chatting and laughing, didn't even realize I was over the speed limit. Heck, I saw the sign 45mph right ahead of me, when he pulled me over. I was shaking so hard and tears came to my eyes.  Didn't work for him.  He told me I was still in a 35mph zone.  So remember when you drive through there to always go the speed limit.

I cook for 2, but make 3, that way Steve can either  have it for lunch the next day or a late night snack. ha!

Orange Pork:
You can either cut the pork loin yourself into 1" slices or buy the thick 1" sliced boneless pork
3 tablespoons feta cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 cup flour
2 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning - I  used "Punch Ya Daddy"
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 juice of an orange
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon cornstarch

Heat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a large 16" skillet.  (I love the one my sister Kim gave me for Christmas, Food Network skillet from Kohl's.  You can  use it on top of the stove or in the oven.) Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and put on medium to high heat.

Take a sharp knife and insert a slit in the side of your pork, about 1" deep and make a pocket. Set aside.

In small mixing bowl, mix feta cheese, cilantro and orange zest.  Insert in the pocket of the pork.  Using a toothpick to keep it together.





Mix your flour and Cajun seasoning and coat each side of the pork.  Test your oil with a little bit of the flour mixture, if it sizzles you know its ready.  Brown each side of the pork for about 6 minutes.  Squeeze the juice of 1 orange.  Then cover and place in oven for 30 minutes.



Put the skillet back on the stove top, on  medium heat and add 1/2 cup of chicken broth and cornstarch, stirring until thicken.  Then serve.



Don't you just love that skillet and look how scrumptious those chops look.  I bet your mouth is watering now.  Are you ready for the sweet potatoes?

2 Sweet potatoes sliced in 1/4" slices
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon of orange zest (use the one from the pork recipe)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, (you can actually cook these on the bottom rack, at the same time your cooking your pork).

Wash and slice your sweet potatoes and lay on cookie sheet. Brush on the olive oil, then sprinkle with garlic salt and orange zest.  Cook for 40 minutes or until tender.


Hey ya'll, I actually figured out the camera all by myself - check out this country girl.  You want to see the complete meal?  Sure you do.

Until next time Be Sweet and Stay Sweet!

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment