Thursday, March 15, 2012

Autumn Harvest Bisque

I'm really enjoying Luck of the Irish week. I've tried out new recipes and this one is one of my favorites. I would of never imagined putting some of these ingredients together, but they worked out DELICIOUSLY!

Autumn Harvest Bisque
1 onion, chopped
2 leeks, chopped (white only)
1/2 cup celery, chopped
9 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
1 pound butternut squash, chopped
1 small turnip, chopped
2 tart green apples, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
6 tablespoons flour
1 cup apple cider
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon sage
1/4 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Gruyere cheese

I'm cracking up at myself, I was reading the ingredients and while I was cooking this, I used apple cider vinegar instead of apple cider. Hey, it still worked out delicious.

In large pot melt 3 tablespoons of butter; adding onion, leeks and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat to soften. Add in carrots, squash, turnip, apples and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Simmer 45 minutes or until tender.
Add remaining 6 tablespoons butter and flour; stirring to make roux. Add cider and spices. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 10 minutes. Stir in cream and Gruyere.
Stir until cheese melts, and serve. This went great with the buttermilk scones.

I'm feeling a little Irish Luck today, maybe I need to go to the horse races. HA!

Be Sweet and Stay Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment