Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Robinism on Giving

My Christmas Tree



Robinism on giving. I've told you before, I like the simple things in life. I can't remember how old Natalie was, but when she was in elementary school; she asked for a treasure box. I didn't quiet understand, but then she explained that she wanted everyone in the family to give her a memory gift of them to put in it. I just thought that was the most amazing thing for a child that age to think of. She got an old watch from her great grand-father, a beautiful decorative pendant, and etc. So, from then on, every year I came up with a memory gift for her. I have to say, the more years that went by, the harder it became to come up with something.

The first year, I did a scrapbook through the years. One year, I gave her my first diamond, that my grandmother Bobo had given me. It was a flower and in the middle was a small diamond. Another year I made her a cookbook, one year just a picture of us in a frame,  and so forth. But her junior year in high school I had her a ring made, instead of buying her a senior class ring. Remember, I was single for seventeen years, and had collected a few pieces of jewelry from men that I had dated. I had so much fun designing it. I gathered up all my old jewelry, my design, and headed to Star City to see Mike Fuqua. He is so awesome at making jewelry, a real find of a gem. It had little crushed diamonds around in a circle - that stood for my undying love that would never end for her, two larger ones in the middle - that was us, that we would always be connected. then on the each side was our birthstone. She loved it and there's not one around like it. I joke around and told her to always wear it and it would ward off any butt holes, because it was made from all past boyfriends. LOL

This year, I think I've come up with the best one of all, but I can't tell you yet or she'll find out her surprise.

Now, Natalie has started making me memory gifts. She wrote me a poem and framed it one year. I have to say, its still one of my favorite gifts of all time. It came from her heart. Those are the gifts that are so precious.

Christmas is my favorite time of year. I do not even like to shop, but at Christmas time I love it. I really try to listen to my family members all during the year, and if they mention something, I write it in my notebook to remind me.

Do you remember the show "7th Heaven"? My all time favorite one was their Christmas show. They drew names, but they couldn't spend any money. They either had to trade it for something else or make it. The kids mostly made their gifts, but the parents did a little trading. The man knew she had a pendant and needed a chain for it. She knew he had old 45 records and wanted a jukebox to play them on. They just so happened went to the same guy to trade their stuff. So when they opened their gifts, she had no pendant to put on her necklace, and he had no records to put on the jukebox. But, they were so touched by each other. You know that really is what Christmas giving is all about. Oh, at the end of the show the guy that had the trade shop, dressed up like Santa and brought the pendant and records back to them. Of course, happy ending, but we all love happy endings.

Do something for a neighbor or an elderly person this year, like baking them some bread or Christmas goodies. I'm telling you, giving makes you feel so much better than receiving. Just seeing their smile, makes it all worth it.

I guess what I'm trying to say here, is don't go broke trying to buy the most or the most expensive gifts, reach down and give from your heart, they'll appreciate it a lot more. (not unless your a very materialistic type person) ha!

I have to tell you a story about my Grandmother Haygood. Each year when my mom and her sibling were children, Santa brought one gift; for example a baby doll. But on New Years Eve Mrs. Claus visited and brought baby doll clothes, stroller, or etc. She waited for the after Christmas sales to buy extras. They thought they were so special, because none of there friends had Mrs. Claus come to see them. She was one special lady.

One more thing, it hit me while I was driving to work this morning. Why do we give gifts at Christmas? I mean, Christmas is to celebrate Jesus being born. Then it hit me, what is the great gift you've ever received? Mine is Jesus, He gave me the best gift ever; eternal life. All I had to do was to  ask for forgiveness, and ask Him to live in my heart. Jesus is giving, so we want to give to our love ones to.

Tomorrow I have a few food gift ideas for a family member or friends.

Be Sweet and Stay Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment