Saturday, August 6, 2011

Cajun Eggplant

I love to cook, but I dislike to shop.  Have you ever had one of those weeks, and your so busy you can't find the time to go to the grocery store?  So, you look in the refrigerator, then your pantry, and you think "what can I do?"  I was determined not to go to the store that day.  I had an eggplant, can tomatoes, onion, rice, red pepper and cheese.  Plenty of spices and hot sauce, Steve and I actually collect them.  Below is what I came up with and now we eat it all the time. I'm showing you the finished picture first to get your mouth watering.


Cajun Eggplant: (this is a serving for 2)
1 eggplant (I got this one out of my garden)
1/2 lb hamburger meat
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon "Slap Ya Mama" seasoning or you can use any Cajun seasoning
3/4 cup shredded cheese, any kind you have in your refrigerator (I used hot pepper jack cheese)
1/2 cup crushed tomatoes or kick it up and use salsa

This is so flexible that you can change it up with your favorite pepper, seasonings and cheese.

Brown your hamburger meat in a skillet, adding onions, peppers, and Slap Ya Mama.  While that's cooking, cook your rice as directed on the package.  Also, cut your eggplant lengthwise in half as shown below.



Cook your eggplant, on microwave safe plate for four to five minutes, the insides will soften.  Let cool, when done.

In mixing bowl scrap the eggplant meat out leaving a little eggplant boat.  Save it, your going to use it later.  Mix in your hamburger mixture, rice and crushed tomatoes.  Stir and put in eggplant boat. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Time to taste.  I hope you enjoy.  Until next time Be Sweet and Stay Sweet!

Robin

1 comment:

  1. So...what does eggplant taste like?

    ReplyDelete