Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Strawberry short "cake"

This is so simple and so scrumptious!  Last Sunday was Steve's grandmother, GiGi's birthday, and I wanted to bake her a little birthday cake.  Now that I'm married to Steve, she my grandmother to.  Talk about spunk, I hope when I'm in my 70's, I have as much spunk as she does.  Just the other day, she was out moving rocks around her flower bed.  She amazes me and is a total sweetheart! I got the "Be Sweet", from her.  Every time I talk to her on the phone, when we hang up, she tells me, "be sweet".  This strawberry short "cake" is as sweet as she  is.  I hope you enjoy.

Strawberry short "cake"
1 carton strawberries
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 cups sugar
yellow cake mix

Slice your strawberries thin, and add one cup of sugar.  Cover and refrigerate, the sugar will make the juices.

Cook your cake mix as directed.  I used loaf size pans. (had to make two, one for GiGi and one for Steve)

Slice length way in half.

On the bottom half cover with the strawberries and juices.  Save a few of the strawberries for the top.


I got a little ahead of myself on the picture. 

In large mixing bowl, pour heavy whipping cream, beat with electric mixer, adding in 1/2 cup of sugar slowly.  Keep mixing until thickened.  Add layer of whipping cream over strawberries.  Then add the top half of your cake, and its just like putting icing on a cake, but your using the remaining whipping cream.  Add the reserved strawberries for the top.  That just makes it look pretty.  Refrigerate till serving.

This is great for summertime, cool and refreshing.  Down here in the south, we need something to cool us off.

Be Sweet and Stay Sweet!



1 comment:

  1. I think I'm gaining weight just looking at all of your awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete