Saturday, November 12, 2011

French Cassoulet - Europe

I have to admit, I got this recipe out of "The Mediterranean Diet" book, and I've cooked it so many times. LOVE IT! I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does. When I was thinking about Europe, I first thought of Russia, Germany, and Italy, but then I remembered this meal I've cooked so often. So, I had to share it. I do want to research some of the other countries in Europe and learn how to cook some of their cuisines. But, I best wait until after Christmas for that one. If anyone would like to share a recipe with me and see if I can cook it, please either put it in my comment box or email at robincarlisle20@yahoo.com. I would love for someone to share a recipe with me. I love trying new things in the kitchen and using flavors I've never used before.

French Cassoulet
1/2 pound pork loin, cooked and cubed
1/2 pound smoked sausage, diced 1/2" slices
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 - 15 ounce cans navy beans, drained
14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups whole-grain bread - cut and cubed
1 additional teaspoon olive oil

I pre-baked my pork loin, the day before; with just a little olive oil and salt and pepper.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I use my large baking skillet, but you can use a large casserole dish or even crock pot.

Place pork and sausage in casserole dish. Set aside. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, red bell pepper, and garlic. saute', until onion and peppers are soft. Add to casserole dish.

Add beans, tomatoes, thyme, and chicken broth; stir.

Sprinkle with the bread cubes and drizzle olive oil over the top. Bake uncovered about 90 minutes, or in crock pot on low for 6 to  8 hours; topping it off in the oven to brown the bread.

This is simply delicious and a must save to your recipe box.

Pack your skillet and your spoons, we're off someone new tomorrow.

Be Sweet and Stay Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment