Monday, November 7, 2011

Robin's Chicken and Dumplings

You want to impress your man, then this is your dish. I will admit, cook it on your day off. Its time consuming, but worth every bite of it.


There's two secrets to making your chicken and dumplings taste great. I'll get to those later.

Chicken and Dumplings
1 whole chicken
4 1/2 cups Self rising flour
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 cups water
salt and pepper

Yep that's all you need. Delicious and cheap meal.

Wash your chicken and take the insides out. Put in a large pot and cover it with water. Bring to boil, then cut the heat to medium heat, and cook two hours. Turning chicken ever so often.
Add 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper.

In large mixing bowl; pour 3 cups flour. In coffee cup crack one egg and fill the mug with milk; stir, and pour into flour. Mix together with fork; then kneed it with your hands. You will do this until its all mix together well; then form a ball. Cover and let it sit until chicken is done.
After your chicken is cooked, take it out of the pot and place in a large bowl to cool.
Tear to long sheets of wax paper and lay on counter. Dump one cup of flour (this is so your dumpling mix will not stick). Add two cups of water to chicken broth and put on medium to high heat (on my stove top 5 or 6). Place your dumpling ball on floured wax paper.


First secret, roll out dumplings as thin as  you can. Make sure you put flour on your rolling pin.



Sprinkle flour, salt and pepper on top. Cut into 1x1 squares. One strip at a time adding to chicken broth.

Repeat until all your dumplings are in there. Your pot might get full, so you can grab your spoon and gently pull the dumplings to the side to keep adding your dumplings. Do not stir. (your dumplings will fall apart)

Second secret, my grandmother Bobo, taught me this little trick. In your coffee cup add 1/4 cup of flour; filling it with milk. Stir until smooth and pour in dumplings. Repeat this (you do this two times). This is the gravy part that makes the dumplings.


Do not stir yet. Now, de-bone your chicken and tear into small pieces; adding it to your dumplings. Make sure you take all the skin off your chicken.



Turn heat to medium-low and gently stir. After 10 minutes, turn heat to low and cook for two hours uncovered. Add salt and pepper to your tasting. I had 2 teaspoons of salt and 3 teaspoons of black pepper.

The first time I tried to make chicken and dumplings, I used baking soda. Oh ya'll, it stunk up my kitchen tasted horrible and my dog wouldn't even eat them. Being from the south, I had to learn to make them. So, I thought no more baking soda, and this is what I came up with. Its a winner winner chicken dinner for sure. I cooked these for Steve the first time I cooked for him. I knew we would get married after that, he loved them. Every time the kids come home, this is one of their favorites.


Be Sweet and Stay Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment