Sunday, February 5, 2012

Broccoli and Cheese Soup

Okay, I will admit - I CHEATED on this. My mother-in-law had brought a broccoli and rice casserole, for one of our family dinners. We had tons of it leftover, so i decided to make soup out of it. After all the casserole is rice, broccoli, mushrooms, mushroom soup and cheese. Just had to add a few more things to make it.

I love Sunday soups, nothing like coming home from church, and having a hot bowl of soup to warm you up. Build a fire, lay on the couch and watch a good movie, or curl up to a good book.

I had about 4 cups of the casserole leftover. I'll give my version of how I did it, then tell you  how to make it without the leftover casserole.


Broccoli and Cheese Soup
leftover casserole or 1 cup cooked rice
1 bunch of broccoli, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped small
1 can chicken broth
2 cups milk or heavy cream
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 cheddar cheese
1 cup mushrooms
1 can cream of mushroom soup

For my leftover casserole, I dumped it into a large sauce pan; adding 1 can of chicken broth. Cook on simmer for 30 minutes; adding milk and cheeses. Cook on simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes.

Fresh version: Cook your rice in 1 can chicken broth and 1/2 cup of water. In a different sauce pan add water and steam your broccoli until tender. In large stock pan, saute onions and mushrooms in a little bit of olive oil, about 1 tablespoons. Add rice, broccoli and chicken broth; cooking for about 15 minutes. Then add your mushroom soup, milk and cheeses; cooking on simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes.

This is really a simple but delicious soup.


Love Dare: Tell your honey you love them at least once a day.

Be Sweet and Stay Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment