Saturday, September 17, 2011

Lemon Icebox Pie

This is an insert from my book Blind Ingredients.  Actually, one of my all time favorite date stories.
I have to admit, I used a ready made pie crust this time. I had bible study last night, and needed to be speedy girl in the kitchen.


LEMON “PLEDGE” ICEBOX PIE
(Serves 6 to 8)
Crust:
½ box graham cracker crumbs
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter
Pie Filling:
2 cans Eagle Brand sweetened, condensed milk
2 eggs
Lemon juice (to fill the Eagle Brand  sweetened condensed milk can)

Cool Whip

Melt butter in microwave. Meanwhile, mix together graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Pour butter over crumb mixture, and place in a pie plate forming a crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes and cool. (Or be like me and use the pre-made one)

Pour both cans of milk into a large mixing bowl and set aside. In one can break 2 eggs and stir, and then fill the rest of the can with lemon juice, stirring together. 

Stirring up eggs.


Stir in lemon juice.

Stir in with the milk and pour into graham crust. The lemon will cook the eggs.  Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Top with Cool Whip and serve.

Lemon Pledge:
This has to be my all-time favorite blind date story. A good friend and her husband, who was in the military, fixed me up with a guy they knew. We went to a local bar, where my favorite guitarist, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, was playing. Before the concert started we were sitting at the bar, and he was showing me pictures of his kids and telling me about his divorce. Then he said, “It’s been so long I’ve started accumulating dust down there.” I thought surely I did not hear him right. So I just ignored it and thought I was losing my hearing or my mind. Can you believe he turned up the volume on his voice and said it louder? “IT’S BEEN SO LONG I”VE STARTED ACCUMULATING DUST DOWN THERE.” I looked at him and said, “Look, I’ve got a couple of bucks in my pocket, and I’ll run to the grocery store and pick you up some Pledge, but I ASSURE YOU, I’m not dusting it off for you.”

MORAL: Always carry Pledge in your purse – you never know when you might need it.


Be Sweet and Stay Sweet!

2 comments:

  1. This is so yummy! Love your blind date story too!
    :) Candi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!!!! Sounds easy to make, too!

    ReplyDelete