Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday Pot Roast

I love Sunday afternoons. Especially in the fall and winter, I catch myself cooking maybe three different meals. Cooking for me is relaxing and fun.

This is not your traditional Southern Pot Roast with carrots and potatoes. I had told myself a year ago, I was going to try a new vegetables. One that I found, and I love is parsnip. Its been around forever, but no one in my family ever cooked it. Its kind of like a white carrot, earthy with a nutty sweet taste. Lets get to cooking.

Sunday Pot Roast
2 1/2 pound shoulder roast
2 teaspoons kosher salt and pepper
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
2 leeks, chopped green and white parts
3 cups mushrooms
1-15.5 ounce beef broth
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-28 ounce crushed tomatoes
5-twigs fresh thyme
2-twigs fresh rosemary

In large pot, add one tablespoon of olive oil, and turn on medium heat. Pour all sliced vegetables in, and add beef broth.


Add 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Cook for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft.

Tie your fresh herbs together.


Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In large skillet add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and turn to medium heat. Rub in 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper, to each side of your roast.

Dredge roast in flour, and brown each side for 4 to 5 minutes, only turning once. Add to your dutch oven. I use a clay baking pot from Pampered Chef. Love it! Its also great for chicken recipes to.

Add 3 garlic cloves, minced, your vegetables, crushed tomatoes, and your herbs.


Cook covered for 2.5 hours. I guess you could say, this a sweet version of pot roast. I hope you enjoy. Come back for some more southern comfort, meatloaf tomorrow.

Be Sweet and Stay Sweet!

1 comment: