Thursday, October 6, 2011

Calf Liver and Veggies

I goofed today, sent out tomorrow post today. Someone PLEASE bring me more coffee. ha!  You get two post today and none tomorrow. I have my days mixed up, I'm taking off tomorrow to go visit my Natalie. I can't wait to see her, and I'll be posting pictures during New Orleans week.

But let's finish up Love and Marriage week. Here's my last recipe this week of Steve's favorite.

Don't marry the person you think you can live with; marry only the individual you think you can't live without.
- James C Dobson

A dress that zips up the back will bring a husband and wife together.
- James H. Boren

I know, a lot of people do not care for any type of liver. I was one of those people. But, its one of Steve's favorite meals. After experimenting with different ways of cooking it, I like it to. If you just refuse to try liver, then you can substitute cube steaks.



Calf Liver and Veggies
1 package calf liver (4 slices) - I find it in the frozen section of the grocery store
1/2 onion, sliced
8 ounces of sliced fresh mushrooms
2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup milk
8 ounces frozen green beans
6 ounces frozen green peas
1 pint heavy cream
1/2 cup flour
4 strips bacon
1 1/2 teaspoon of Paula Deen's seasoning (garlic, salt, & pepper)
2 tablespoons olive oil

In large bowl place thawed liver and milk. Let it soak for ten minutes.



In large skillet heat olive oil; saute mushrooms and onions.


Push them to one side of your skillet. Add bacon and fry.


Remove bacon, but keep your mushrooms and onions to the side.

On cutting board pour out flour, and mix 1 teaspoon of the Paula Deen seasoning, coat each side of your liver.
Add your liver to the skillet and cook about three minutes on each side. Calf liver is very thin, and you do not want to over cook it. Remove liver from skillet.



Add the leftover flour, 1/2 teaspoon of Paula Deen seasoning,  and heavy cream to your mushrooms and onions, stirring until it comes to a boil. Turn heat to simmer, and add green beans, peas, and liver.


Cover for fifteen minutes. Serve with crumbled bacon on top.



Calf liver really is a good source for iron. So, if your anemic, this would be great for you.

I hope you have enjoyed anniversary and Steve's favorites week. Come back tomorrow for the grocery list. It's Tailgate Recipe Week. I have one meal, made into three different things.

Be Sweet and Stay Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment