Monday, October 17, 2011

Gumbo

This is for Natalie.  It was just me and her for so long, I have to say its been hard letting go. As a parent we love and nurture our kids, then we have to let go, and let them become adults. Maybe its harder for me, because I was single for so long, and we have this amazing bond between us. I still call her my baby girl, and she's turning 22 next year. That's okay, because she'll always be my baby girl. This is one of her favorite meals. This is for you Baby Girl! I'm sending her Hugs, Kisses and Loves!


Robin's Gumbo
2 chicken breast
4 chicken thighs
16 ounces Cajun sausage
1 pound ham
2 cups rice
1 onion, chopped
1 cup okra, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
1-14.5 ounces stewed tomatoes
2 cups chicken stock (from boiling your chicken)
1 1/2 sticks butter
2 tablespoons garlic
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
4 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
3/4 cup bacon grease or oil
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon Louisiana Hot Sauce

In large pot, add chicken, one stick of butter and 4 to 5 cups water. Bring to boil; then simmer until chicken is done. Reserve your chicken stock.

Cook rice as directed and set aside.

Remember me telling you to save your bacon grease? If not, I always save my bacon grease in a coffee cup, and stick it in the refrigerator. Great for seasoning up beans, or for this recipe. Gives it that grandma flavoring you will love.

In large skillet add 3/4 bacon grease to medium-high heat. When oil is hot gradually add flour and whisk continuously. You may have to turn the burner down, don't let it burn. Whisk until it turns a dark brown color. It seems like it takes forever, but its worth it.

Add your celery, onion, bell pepper, and 1 stick of butter. Cook until vegetables become tender.

Cut up your meats in bite size pieces and brown in skillet. Add to gumbo mixture.

Add 2 cups of your chicken broth, stewed tomatoes, okra and the rest of your seasonings and sauces. (Worcestershire & Louisiana hot sauce). Stir all together, and simmer on low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Serve over rice.

Come back tomorrow for Banana Pancakes. Those are also one of Natalie's favorites, and I had to make them while I was down there. Not for sure if that's Cajun or not, but she's in New Orleans and it is New Orleans week.

Be Sweet and Stay Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment