Friday, October 28, 2011

Harvest Vegetable Grocery List

Harvest Vegetable Week Grocery List

Ya'll my friend Tammy in Star City gave me all those vegetables in the picture. I went down to celebrate my dad's 73rd birthday, and to get my hair cut. Tammy has "Tammy's Tangles". Let me tell you, this girl knows how to cut some hair. If anyone knows how to cut my fine, thin hair, and make it look cute; then you have a winner winner chicken dinner. She gave me 5 to 6 sacks full of fresh veggies out of her garden. So this week, we're cooking up harvest fall veggies. We have fresh butter beans, turnips and greens, bell peppers, jalapeno and red chili peppers, and eggplants. I have to say, I've come up with some pretty scrumptious eats here that I think you will enjoy.

I've got to tell you a little about Tammy. We go way back, we went to junior and senior high together, choir, cheerleaders, and we were best friends. We were a mess. A funny story about us, we were driving over to the river, thought we could drive on sand; and decided to drive on the sand down by the river. (do you remember the stupid things you did when you were that age?) We both get so tickled at some of the things we did. Anyways, back to the story. You can guess it, we got stuck. I got out started digging like a dog, to get the sand away from the tires. Nope that didn't work. So we started walking and worrying about what are parent's were going to do. We finally saw a car and flagged it down. It was a local guy and girl from our hometown Star City, and they did give us a ride back. We were about 30 minutes from home. I think the guy had a souped up sports car. Let me tell ya'll our heads were stuck to the back seat of the car; he was going so fast. So we started worrying if we would even make it home. We made it, oh what a relief. So we went down to my friend Rusty's, and his step-dad had a winch on his truck. Rusty and Randell took us back to get my car out. They were like were ya'll drinking or what, everybody knows you can't drive in sand. No Tammy and I weren't drinking, we were just stupid enough to think we could drive on sand. I could tell so many stories about us, but we do have daughters, so I best not tell everything; they just might be reading this and get ideas.

Our cheerleader squad, oh back in the day. See the three bent over? Tammy is on the left, I'm in the middle, you can barely see my  head. ha! These are all my girls. On the ground is Laura and Stacy, then Tammy me, and Norma; standing in front is Lisa and Janelle. The two on the outside with the kick leg; Tammy S to the left and Cindy on the right. The two standing on Tammy, Norma, and I is Kim S. and JoLynne; Jymme is on top.


Butter Beans
If you don't have fresh butter beans, then buy 1 package frozen
1 tablespoon bacon grease
salt and pepper to your taste
water
Smothered Pork Chops
3 boneless pork chops
1/4 cup flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Emerils seasoning

Eggplant Casserole
2 small eggplants
1 egg
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 chopped yellow onion
1/2 sleeve crumbled Ritz crackers
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese

Italian Stuffed Peppers
5 green bell peppers
1 pound ground Italian sausage
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
1 1/2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
5 Ritz crackers, crumbled
1 egg
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt and black pepper
1 14.5 ounce stewed tomatoes
Topping
1 tablespoon brown spicy mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons Ketcup
1 teaspoon brown sugar

Mashed Turnips
5 turnips, peeled and sliced (like you would if your boiling mashed potatoes)
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 stick butter
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper


Turnip Greens, Tuna Steak with Eggplant Salsa
2 tuna steaks
2 bunches of greens
1 turnip
5 to 6 slices bacon (I used turkey bacon, but wish I had pork bacon)
1/2 chopped yellow onion
1 small bell pepper
1 small eggplant
1 red chili pepper
2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
hot sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
salt and black pepper

Eggplant Sticks
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 eggplants
1/4 cup flour
2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning

No comments:

Post a Comment