Sunday, October 30, 2011

Turnip Greens, Tuna Steak with Eggplant Salsa

Have you ever watched the TV show "CHOPPED"? I love it. They give you a mystery basket and you have to come up with a recipe. Sometimes the stuff in the basket is unreal, but it sure is neat to see what they come up with. You have to be very creative foodie to be on that show. Saying all that, I had the hardest time getting to the store this week. I had the vegetables Tammy gave me and tuna steaks. So, I did my own mystery box recipe; with tuna steaks, turnip greens, and eggplant.

Turnip Greens, Tuna Steak with Eggplant Salsa
2 tuna steaks
2 bunches of greens
1 turnip
5 to 6 slices bacon (I used turkey bacon, but wish I had pork bacon)
1/2 chopped yellow onion
1 small bell pepper
1 small eggplant
1 red chili pepper
2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
hot sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
salt and black pepper

Fry bacon in skillet; then remove your bacon, keeping the bacon grease. Add chopped turnip and add to bacon grease to brown.

Now remember, you have to wash your greens three to four times. I have a double sink (clean), dump them in one side, fill with water, then repeat to the other side of your sink. After you have washed your greens good, tear them into bite size pieces. Some people take the stems off, I do. Add them to your pot; turning the heat to medium. They cook down; then keep adding to it until all have cooked down. You might not be able to get them all in the pot at the same time.

Add salt and pepper to your taste, jalapeno, sugar; then hot sauce. I sprinkle the hot sauce all around; probably 1 1/2 tablespoons. Yep, I like them hot and spicy.


Now heat up your skillet to medium heat with two tablespoons of olive oil, and 1 teaspoon minced garlic. Salt and pepper both sides of your tuna steak, and add to skillet.


In the meanwhile, chop up your eggplant, bell pepper, and red chili pepper and add to your skillet. I cook my tuna steaks about five minutes on each side.


Ready for plating? Plate your greens on the bottom, adding tuna steak on top, and top it off with your eggplant salsa. I have to say, I liked my mystery basket.

Be Sweet and Stay Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment