Saturday, October 29, 2011

Mashed Turnips

I have to say, the only time I've had a turnip was in turnip greens. My friend Tammy had given me so many, I had to come up with just a turnip recipe. Turnips are kind of bitter tasting. Some people mash them like mashed potatoes and add a little sugar to take the bite out. I decided to do something a little different. It turned out really delicious, and I'll be adding it to my recipe box.

Mashed Turnips
5 turnips, peeled and sliced (like you would if your boiling mashed potatoes)
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 stick butter
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Boil turnips until tender.
Drain water off, and with potato masher; mash them up. Stir in butter, then flour; adding cream and cheese.


Spray small casserole dish with Pam cooking spray, adding your mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.



I'll never forget, my grandmother made mashed turnips with sugar one time, for a family get together. One person thought it was mashed potatoes, and loaded his plate with them. He took one bite and his face was unforgettable. We all had a good laugh. I sure wish my Bobo was here to taste this one.

Come back tomorrow for some more fall harvest vegetables. I'm loving having all these fresh veggies; thanks to Tammy.

Be Sweet and Stay Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment